Thursday, August 25, 2011

PARADOX, and then some

Here are Zentangle's instructions for the tangle Paradox, from the February 2008 newsletter.

Paradox is one of my favorite tangles and I seem to do it rather well. Perhaps those two things are related! :-)  I've been asked about it occasionally, how did I do this or that. I thought about doing a video but that's just a bit more than I can take on right now. So I decided to post some tips and ideas here, and hope to make them clear enough.

 TIPS!

TIP #1:
The elegant curves show best if the lines are close together. See the difference.

TIP #2:
Agh! But what if you accidentally leave too much space between some lines? Simple! Just add a line or two between the ones that are too spacey, like this:

Then again, never say never. I tried deliberately leaving wide spaces that I then filled with other tangles. You can see the results here.

TIP #3:
Paradox works best in triangles or squares. It's not bad in a pentagon but gets worse and worse as there are more and more sides. For one thing, the center deteriorates quickly as you move in. Besides, drawing a fairly regular shape with more than four sides, freehand, is quite a challenge. Stick with squares and triangles.

TIP #4:
There are two looks that can be achieved with Paradox. In my classes I call them "Fans" and "Twists". Here they are:

Paradox is essentially a square or triangular spiral. These two effects are obtained depending on which direction you send your spirals.
TWISTS: Regardless of whether you spiral clockwise or counter-clockwise, if you spiral in the same direction in every section you'll end up with twists.
FANS: To get the fans you need to spiral in the opposite direction from section to section.
Starting with squares

Starting with triangles
If you prefer to be less technical and more intuitive, you can look at what's happening in the section adjacent to the one you want to work in, and note where the lines need to converge and where they need to splay out.

TIP #5:
Munchin is a tangle that flows particularly nicely placed next to Paradox. Others that could work well this way are Tri-po, Facets, possibly Hibred (scroll down the link). I can also see possibilities for Tripoli (another of my favorite tangles) and Betweed.
This is a rectangle divided in three. The red arrows show where the divisions are.

 AND THEN SOME! 

THEN SOME #1:
Paradox also makes a nice border design. Start with a row of squares or triangles, then decide whether you want fans or twists.

THEN SOME #2:
An interesting variation is to fill in every other stripe. Don't do this going around the spiral the way you did the tangle. It's too easy to get confused that way. Begin on one side and fill in to the center, then move on to another side.

THEN SOME #3:
The triangles or squares you use don't all have to meet neatly at the corners. Interesting things happen when they're placed randomly. You can also use a mix of triangles and squares.

THEN SOME #4:
Sometimes when I'm doing Paradox using squares there's an odd-shaped section, like a trapezoid. (What a great word!) I've found a few ways of dealing with this challenge.

One thing you can do is separate that end bit and deal with it on its own. This leaves a triangle and you can fill it in a number of ways:
1) fill the triangle with Paradox with a twist effect
2) fill the triangle with Paradox with a fan effect
3) fill the triangle Munchin style to extend the fan
4) fill the triangle Munchin style in the other direction

Another option is to fill the odd shape entirely with Paradox, adding an extra line or two occasionally as you're spiralling around. You need to think about the direction of the spiral in order for the extra lines to fill the proper space. The aim is to get the (temporarily) empty center area looking more like a regular square.

THEN SOME #5:
Never say never, right? While the classic Paradox is done entirely with straight lines - thus the paradox - it can also be done using curved lines. It takes a little more concentration.



THEN SOME #6:
If you're feeling confident, here's something to try: partial Paradox! This requires imagining what's not there, but (of course) it doesn't have to be exact or perfect. Here you can see:
1st: a string
2nd: other tangles (Crescent Moon, Florez, Keenees, Prestwood, Tripo), with two sections left blank. The solid green line makes a nice square in the section where I want to put Paradox. Normally I'd draw it in black. Then there's a dotted green line where I need to imagine the far edge of the other Paradox square.
3rd: one and a half Paradoxes and the final section filled with Gingham

THEN SOME #7:
Paradox in a paradox. See the Paradox section in the lower left of the tile below? Going from the point in the center, there's a Paradox triangle, a Paradox square, and a partial Paradox. In the square section I did Paradox until about halfway in, then, I reversed direction! Cool!
Other tangles here: Moving Day, Ninja Stars, Screen - all mine!

 FINALLY

Here's a pencil string, some notes about what I did, and the Paradox result:


There are more examples of Paradox in other Zentangle newsletters here (scroll down) and here (scroll down).

I was about to throw out all the examples I did for this post when I thought, "Hmm. Let's stick 'em all together and see what happens." So here it is, the all-in-one (minus one) Paradox visual tutorial!



 HAVE FUN! (and congratulations to anyone who stuck through it to the end!)

THIS JUST IN!

August 2011: For another take on Paradox, using a two-sided shape (how cool is that!) see the Zentangle blog post for August 26.
June 2012: for a cool variation that I call feathered Paradox see my blog post of June 22, 2012
August 2018: See Rick Roberts' post "Paradox Metaphors" here.
April 2020: Another variation, Crazy Paradox, here on my blog.

75 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT tutorial, Margaret! Thanks for covering all the angles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I've always liked paradox but you've given me some neat new ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You really put a lot of work into this tutorial and it is excellent! I'm printing this out next for my tangle binder. I don't know why I have always limited my Paradox to a triangle shape, but can't wait to try out these ideas. Thanks so much, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Paradox too! Awesome tutorial Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Margaret, what a great resource. So much we can do with one tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Further 'deconstructing' Paradox and explaining different design options is a great help... and it fires the creativity to find even more options and pattern variations. This is a great idea, Margaret... and you did it so beautifully. Thank you.

    (Looking forward to your [some day] video tutorials.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. I needed that.
    I love Paradox, too, but always have trouble with it.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to Zentangles and am amazed to have found your wonderful tutorials. Thank you for so generously sharing your gift with others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zippity-doo-dah!! Thanks Margaret, I am certainly going to do more Paradoax, you have me inspired!

    Word verification: yoliquen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it's been helpful! I've already thought of a couple of things I didn't say, but oh well, maybe you'll discover them on your own. And other possibilities too!
    --Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Margaret! I love the way you break you tutorial down and explain the steps; I appreciate the work you put into creating it. I also appreciate how generously you share your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My *word*, Margaret. That is a *lot* of work, and an absolutely amazing tutorial. You've done some things with this I never thought of. Wow. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post, I will use your ideas at my next class. This Wednesday. Thanks so much. I love Paradox but you took it one step beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you are so kind to share all of this information with us. The instructions are so easy to follow and there are so many variations. I am definitely going to delegate some hours this weekend to learn all I can. Again, THANK YOU!

    Bev in Utah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, thanks for your tute. I'm new to zentangle and really enjoy your tips. I imagine your classes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love paradox and have used it in many of the ways you suggest. But there are some new and exciting ideas here that I'll be sure to try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fantastic - paradox is one of my favourites and took the longest to master while Rick patiently helped me!
    Jane Marbaix CZT 6

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for all that info. It will keep me out of mischief for ages as I work through it all, plus pass on to my art and craft group. You make it all seem so simplpe too, thanks again for the fun time I will have doing these exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done, Margaret! You really covered everything (and then some!) I especially like the fans and columns portion. Mine come about by accident, but now I can be more aware of the direction and be more deliberate if I want. Thanks for this most generous post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful tips. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just, WOW, Margaret! So much to share, and so much for me to play with!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that's about as complete as it gets. So useful. Thank you for sticking with it to teach us all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this wonderful tutorial. While I've done most of these paradox styles I have never written them down in the succinct form you have provided in this post. Also I've never started with a string made up of rectangles and triangles on purpose as in "and then some #3" shows. Excellent! Bette Abdu, CZT

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - you really studied the details of Paradox. -Also when you colour in every other stripe of adjacent paradox triangles, you can get an interesting "eye" effect:
    http://mulles-univers.blogspot.com/2011/08/et-paradox.html
    One of the first zentangles I ever made, actually...
    I seem to have eyes looking out at me from every zentangle I make. Wonder what that means :-D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome! It's like the Paradox Bible. Or would it be a Paradox Parable? Mixed metaphors are dangerous... it's very complete and very impressive!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for this tutorial, I had tried to get this effect and failed every time as i did not realize how it was created. Off to try it out now.
    Very best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. Paradox is one of my favorite tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for this fantastic inspiring tutorial! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was a really good and needed tutorial on Paradox. It is truly one of those "magical" tangles that is very impressive when done as it was designed. Most tangles you can ad lib or change it here or there, but Paradox, you have to follow through the steps or it doesn't "work". Thanks for putting it into such simple and deliberate words and images for all our tangling family. I am looking forward to seeing more Paradoxical vistas in the future! Margaret, the images you created are really beautiful! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  30. YOU are the Paradox Queen!!! Thanks for taking all that time to share your knowledge. Great post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Margaret -- I am humbled by all the time and effort put into your Paradox presentation to us. It is absolutely awesome and you are so generous to share it with us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I absolutely love paradox (once I figured it out!) but I didn't know how to get the 2 variations with the columns or fans. This is such a comprehensive and helpful tutorial - THANK YOU. I so appreciate that you took the time to make it so clear. I can't wait to expand my paradox offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This tutorial is AMAZING!!! Thank you Margaret for being such a fantastic teacher! I love Paradox and can't wait to try the columns and fans!

    ReplyDelete
  34. thank you, thank you, thank you. I often get lost with this and I love the effect. I am one that has to add extra lines to fill in the gaps LOL, now I don't feel like I am doing it wrong.....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wozer - what a fabulous and detailed tutorial - and so beautifully illustrated. Now that IS value added for sure. Isn't the Internet and amazing place at times. thanks for doing your bit!!
    Best
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  36. This tutorial was zen-fastic!!! The infomation was phenomenal, a garden of inspiration. Thank you so much!!! Time to pick up a pen...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Margaret, I am a bit late at posting a comment, but this is a wonderful tutorial. I teach Zentangle once a month at my Library and this is just what I needed for this months class. I love Ricks Paradox and have people ask all the time "how did you do that" I think my class will love this step by step Paradox lesson. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am also new to Zentangle, and cannot wait to try this. In fact, I'm headed to the "drawing board" right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is such an amazing piece of instruction. Thank you so much. Brain is whizzing but under your expert tuition I'll have a go! x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you, Margaret, for your excellent tutorial on Paradox. I love all the different effects, and you have described and presented them so beautifully. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fabulous resource! I wasn't a paradox fan but you've given me new insight into this tangle.

    A question about shading - does it ever require/do better with shading or do the lines do all the work themselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I just realized that this reply was posted as a comment, not as a reply! So sorry. I hope you saw it anyway.)

      Ahh ziggiau, that's something I didn't cover! (There are other things, and I'm considering a follow-up post.)

      Paradox looks lovely with shading around the curves. I will say "inside" the curves and hope that's not confusing. If you have 'fans', shade inside the 'fan'.

      I also shade it, as I do any tangle, at the edge beside another tangle when I want Paradox to 'go behind'.

      Delete
  42. Ahh ziggiau, that's something I didn't cover! (There are other things, and I'm considering a follow-up post.)

    Paradox looks lovely with shading around the curves. I will say "inside" the curves and hope that's not confusing. If you have 'fans', shade inside the 'fan'.

    I also shade it, as I do any tangle, at the edge beside another tangle when I want Paradox to 'go behind'.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Once again your instruction have my brain buzzing, thankyou so much for the free lessons it's wonderful :O)
    {{{{BIGHUG}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for this great turorial! It was a big help to draw Paradox fans this time.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just love this one; thanks for doing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  46. YOU are amazing! What a resource.I'm going to link to this page. Do you realize how much time you have just saved me trying to figure it all out?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you so much for posting this! Great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I am new to zentangle and this tutorial has been very helpful and inspirational.
    hugs julie

    ReplyDelete
  49. Excellent tutorial!

    I'm so new to tangles, I forgot the mantra--"There are no mistakes in Zentangle"--and was thinking I was "ruining" my drawings when I accidentally did a Paradox without turning in the "right" direction. However, I now see I was making a Twist. I love this form of art; it's new and fresh every single time, and there truly are no mistakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. WOW! This just blew me away! Never saw such useful material before. What a blessing. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is way too much great fun, thanks so much with sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. scamp (aka Shirley)June 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

    Just took my very first zentangle class today--this tutorial is awesome! I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I came across this post via tanglepatterns.com - "how to draw PARADOX" and just want to say O M G! I am new to the art of Zentangle - and have fallen in love with paradox...but had questions on a few aspects of how some of the designs I saw were created This answered all of my questions AND THEN SOME. I'm can see I'll be spending my evening deeply tangled! Thanks for just a detailed set of descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that this has been so helpful to so many people!

      Delete
  54. I just found this article from a link on Tanglepatterns.com. All I can say is, thank you so much for taking the time to do this! It has been soooooo helpful, and de-mystifying for me. I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Brilliant! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow! What fun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Paradox is my favourite zentangle pattern! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I am not a committed 'commenter' but this page leaves me SO inspired.
    You have put in so much thought and I love the results - great directions too!
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thank you so much! I LOVE the different variations of paradox. It was so helpful to see how to do them. Its my new favorite pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Very - very interesting! Thank you very much for the explanation, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thank you for the wonderful explanations and examples!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow.. this is one of the best and most detailed description of Paradox. Thank you so much for the insight into doing Paradox

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thanks for a very excellent tutorial. I was too sloppy with my paradox zentangling. Your detailed explanation helped to improve my work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful Joe. Remember to take your time. Many people try to draw quickly (that's like isn't it?) but the zen is in slowing down to focus on your drawing.

      Delete
  64. I've just come across Tangle artwork recently, but I have Always loved linear artwork. So to see Paradox, it fits right in my favorite category. What other tangles are in the linear "category that fit with Paradox? Great Work, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremiah. If you're not yet familiar with tanglepatterns.com it's a wonderful resource for tangles, and a lot of other related things too.

      There are many tangle patterns that are based on lines rather than 'areas' or 'sections'.
      Just for starters I'd suggest: Afterglo, Pixioze, All Boxed Up, Arukas, Auraknot, Groovy, Hibred, Khirkee, Mi2, Meringue, Puffle, Roxi, Bouclé, Rouche, Fife, Sand Swirl, Screen, Dansk, Showgirl, Sqaro, Snood, Tidings, Undu, Warped Eggs, Wonderwall, Yew-Dee, Yuma, and Zewm.

      That should keep you out of mischief for a while! ;)

      Delete
  65. You work so hard for these wonderful tutorials. I consider you a mentor. Paradox is a fave of mine and I'm not great at it, but, I keep trying.
    This tutorial will help a lot. I just need a steadier hand. Huge thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Sometimes an unsteady hand can be interesting! I occasionally tangle with my left hand just for something different.

      Delete